UrbanCred Podcast Episode 05: Director at Nathan Love Animation Studios with Ellen Su [Part 1]
For this episode, we speak with Ellen Su and she is a great many things. We take a dive into a great many things. So much in fact that we had to split this segment into two podcast episodes! We chat about how she started her journey, advice on becoming a digital artist in this day and age, the current state of the animation industry, and what you should do in terms of education when it comes down to your dream profession.
Todays Guest: Ellen Su
A director and artist at Nathan Love, an animation studio based out of NYC. A daughter of a tough critique and vocal volunteer with dedication at sharing the knowledge she learned along the way. She's also an adjunct professor at the School of Visual Arts. Finally she's had extensive freelancer experience, married to another artist, and experienced entrepreneur.
In this episode, we talked about...
- Japanese vs American Animation.
- What does a Director do at an Animation Studio.
- Why multiple hats in a Directors position makes you more valuable.
- Why art school is more than just the courses you take.
- Ellen's origins of art and path to success.
- What to do and not to do when applying to animation jobs.
- Misconceptions in the art industry.
- How long does it take to produce an animated work?
- What is Women in Animation?
- Freelance advice.
- Advice for budding animators.
Be sure to like and subscribe to everywhere you get your podcasts. More episodes are on their way so be sure to stay tuned. See you next time!